I have been offering my tutoring services for 3 years in both English and Mandarin. I have previously worked at McMaster University as a grading and tutorial teaching assistant in two second year courses in the School of Interdisciplinary Sciences under the Life Sciences faculty. I have also worked at McMaster Science Society as a tutor, offering my services to predominantly lower year university students in helping them with their courses and guiding them to achieve their academic goals. I have also worked as an independent tutor, helping many high school students with their studies and mentoring students to develop good study habits, as well as key strategies for sustainable academic success.
Yu Yang Chen
Bachelor’s degree in Honours Life Sciences at McMaster University – Graduated April 2023
Undergraduate Tutorial Teaching Assistant – LIFESCI 2CC3
January 2023 – April 2023
- Conducted weekly tutorials to facilitate students’ understanding of challenging concepts.
- Graded lab assignments with precision and efficiency, ensuring timely feedback.
- Collaborated closely with fellow teaching assistants to optimize tutorial sessions and enhance the learning experience.
- Assisted the professor in setting up class resources, including class courseshells, assignment dropboxes, and Microsoft Teams, for seamless communication.
Undergraduate Tutorial Teaching Assistant – LIFESCI 2L03
December 2021 – December 2022
- Coordinated and communicated effectively with lab and tutorial teaching assistants to provide comprehensive support to students.
- Delivered tutorial lessons, including technical demonstrations, to impart course content necessary for assignments and assessments.
- Planned and structured tutorial classes, ensuring engaging and informative sessions.
- Engaged in weekly meetings with the instructional team to address student concerns and plan for upcoming lessons
Tutor – McMaster Science Society
August 2021 – May 2023
- Provided individualized tutoring services to students in the Faculty of Science, tailoring lesson plans to suit their learning styles and needs.
- Delivered tutoring in both English and Mandarin, ensuring effective communication with diverse students.
- Collaborated with other tutors to hold review sessions, fostering a supportive learning environment.
- Developed and executed strategic approaches to help students achieve their academic goals.
- Held group review sessions prior to exams and midterms
Undergraduate Grading Teaching Assistant – LIFESCI 2L03
September 2021 – December 2021
- Efficiently graded lab assignments and promptly addressed student inquiries, ensuring clarity in grading criteria.
- Collaborated with lab and tutorial teaching assistants and fellow grading teaching assistants to maintain consistency in assessments.
- Provided valuable feedback and suggestions to course administrators and instructors, contributing to course improvement
Math/Calculus – First year courses
Chemistry: First year courses + Organic Chemistry
Biology: First year courses
Math 10, 20, 30, 31
English 10, 20, 30
Biology 20, 30
Chemistry 20, 30
Physics 20, 30
Online and In-Person (Edmonton)